Dress Requirements/ Personal Grooming/General Appearance
The Newman School is a conservative and traditional school, and as such, requires students to dress in a conservative and traditional fashion. The Land’s End catalogue of clothing appropriate for Newman School is posted on the school website and should be consulted for attire that is considered appropriate for school.
The Newman School students are expected to dress in the school’s dress code and be groomed in a sensible, responsible and appropriate manner while in school (including during exam weeks), on all field trips, and at all school related functions. All clothing must be neat and clean. Since our purpose is to maintain a serious academic environment, students’ who violate the dress code in any way will be sent home to change their clothes and will be required to make up the time missed from classes. In such cases, parents will be notified first that the student is being dismissed; in the event that we are unable to reach parents, the student will not be able to attend classes that day and will be required to make up the time and the work missed from those classes after school.
Further, it is expected that students will arrive at, go to lunch, and leave from school appropriately dressed in dress code and not plan to change into and out of “dress code” at school.
Students are expected to be in dress code for field trips and while in all areas of the school building and in front of the school building.
Dress for all students:
All shirts must have the Newman School Logo on it and:
· be the Land’s End traditional oxford-style dress shirt
· be worn “buttoned up” to one button below the neck
· be long enough to “tuck in” to pants or skirts, and
· be worn tucked in, all the way around, at all times
· be made to fit in the “traditional style”
· All sweaters must be Land’s End approved sweaters with the Newman School Logo on it, and:may be pull-over or cardigan style both without hoods must be worn over the appropriate, Land’s End collared shirt with a logo– so that when sweaters are removed, the student is still in dress code
· must fit in a “traditional” style; not too tight, not oversized and no longer than just below the waist
Pants must conform to the Land’s End style approved by the school and be
· dress, khaki, navy or black
· worn at the waist (low-rise, hip-hugger, or baggy are not acceptable)
· full-length, coming to the top of the shoe (not capri length or dragging on the floor)
· traditional in style (cargo pants, jeans, and pants tailored to a “jeans” look, capris, short pants, are all unacceptable styles).
· girls’ skirts must be plain , cotton or corduroy, and worn no higher than 4 inches above the knee.
· Neat shoes and sneakers are permitted
· High-heeled or platform shoes exceeding 2”, flip-flops and heavy work or combat-style boots
· Sweatshirts (both traditional and hooded, jackets and anything that is considered “outerwear” and/or athletic wear (i.e. running clothes, sweat pants, wind pants, scarves, etc.) are not acceptable attire for school. Please note: students are responsible for wearing clothing that is seasonal, and may wear the school approved sweater or sports jacket in order to keep comfortable in the building
All clothing must be in appropriate sizes (sized to fit) oversized clothing is not appropriate. Further, students may not wear baggy pants, pants that are frayed on the bottom or that touch the floor.
Hats may not be worn in the building at any time.
Hair must be clean and neat. Men and women must wear their hair in one natural color. Extreme styles of cut such as Mohawks, uneven cuts, etc. including ponytails and braids for men are not acceptable. Men should wear their hair no longer than “collar length” nor so short that the student appears to be nearly bald.
Jewelry: Earrings of any type are not allowed on men, and body piercing of any type is not allowed for anyone (except traditional style earrings for women). Students are asked not to wear excessive amounts of jewelry including multiple earrings for women (no more than 4 earrings - 2 in each ear - are allowed) In addition, students may not wear clothing that displays tattoos or tattoo-like art. Ear gauges are not allowed.
Throughout the year we plan to arrange for periodic “Assembly Days”, when there are special visitors to the school or when the students are attending a special event.
On those Assembly Days students must be in Assembly Day Dress: a more formal manner of dress:
young men are expected to wear dress slacks or neatly pressed khaki pants with the Newman oxford shirt and a tie.